TD: 2020 Volume 16
2020 Volume 16 No 1
- Improving the contribution of foreign voluntourists in South Africa : The importance of training and supervision / Strohmeier, Carina; Heleta, Savo
- The innovative use of social media for teaching English as a second language / Rwodzi, Christopher;De Jager, Lizette; Mpofu, Nhlanhla
- Constructing conceptual frameworks in social science research / Van der Waldt, Gerrit
- What counts as disciplinary literacy instructional approaches in teacher education? / Mpofu, Nhlanhla; Maphalala, Mncedisi C.
- Developing the usage index for teaching with technology : A case study for Motheo district, South Africa / Hlalele, Bernard M.
- The world we live in : A perspective on blended learning and music education in higher education / Cruywagen, Sonja; Potgieter, Hetta
- Geohydrological aspects of importance in the public management of basic water supply services in Merafong City Local Municipality (Carletonville area), South Africa / Nealer, Eric J.
- Municipal demarcation process in the establishment of the Collins Chabane Local Municipality and reasons for the eruption of Vuwani, South Africa / Netswera, Mavis M.; Nealer, Eric J.
- The relevance of Kaizen-based work-readiness training for South African University of Technology students / Nofemela, Fundiswa R.; Winberg, Christine
- A learner perspective on the implementation of Geographic Information Systems in selected schools in KwaZulu-Natal province / Zondi, Thabile A.; Tarisayi, Kudzayi S.
- Livelihood strategies and diversification amongst the poor : Evidence from South African household surveys / Mishi, Syden; Sikhunyana, Zintle; Ngonyama, Nomasomi; Sibanda, Kin
- Foundation for transdisciplinary education at Cape Peninsula University of Technology / Mokhele, Masilonyane; Pinfold, Nicholas
- Tourism business operators’ perceptions, knowledge and attitudes towards climate change at Victoria Falls / Dube, Kaitano; Nhamo, Godwell
- The big five personality traits influencing habitual Facebook usage, life satisfaction and psychological well-being of Generation Y students / Maziriri, Eugine T.
- Pre-service teachers’ perceptions of their parents’ and teachers’ attitudes towards mathematics / Mkhize, Msizi V.
- The conceptualised role of African diaspora in the renaissance of the African continent / Magocha, Medicine
- Digital media, the body and agency in a South African education institution from the perspective of narrative research / Kelleher, William
- Creating a virtuous cycle for increased trust in local government / Taylor, J. Derek; Draai, Enaleen; Jakoet-Salie, Amina
- The challenges experienced by small-scale fishing communities of Lake Kariba, Zimbabwe / Muringai, Rodney T.; Naidoo, Denver; Mafongoya, Paramu
- Using WhatsApp for co-creation of learning resources : A case of a South African university / Rambe, Patient; Chipunza, Crispen; Ng’ambi, Dick
- Bridging the gap between technical and social competencies of urban and regional planning through mobile technology : The case of Cape Peninsula University of Technology / Pinfold, Nicholas; Mokhele, Masilonyane
- Rural transformation, network society and the information age : The case of Nkonkobe District Municipality in the Eastern Cape / Connor, Teresa
(AOSIS, 2020)Drawing on the literature, this article examines approaches for developing disciplinary literacy in teacher education. Findings from different researchers indicate that most university entrants are underprepared for the ...
Developing the usage index for teaching with technology : A case study for Motheo district, South Africa (AOSIS, 2020)Virtual reality has taken the world by storm over the past decade where learners are allowed to gain experiences that are not possible with ordinary teaching methods. The interactive technological devices such as GeoGebra ...
(AOSIS, 2020)This article investigates the incorporation of Picciano’s Blending with purpose multimodal model into an undergraduate music education module. This multimodal model advocates that teachers and instructional designers should ...
Geohydrological aspects of importance in the public management of basic water supply services in Merafong City Local Municipality (Carletonville area), South Africa (AOSIS, 2020)Carletonville is a gold-mining town in western Gauteng province, South Africa, and is located in the Merafong City Local Municipality’s geographical area of responsibility. It is one of the richest gold-producing areas in ...
Municipal demarcation process in the establishment of the Collins Chabane Local Municipality and reasons for the eruption of Vuwani, South Africa (AOSIS, 2020)The demarcation of municipal boundaries in post-apartheid South Africa is characterised by objections from affected communities. Beyond polarising-affected communities, proposed redeterminations regularly elicit destruction ...
The relevance of Kaizen-based work-readiness training for South African University of Technology students (AOSIS, 2020)Kaizen-based work-readiness training originated in Japan and is based on the ‘lean’ production methods taught in Toyota factories in Japan and abroad. Kaizen-based training is rooted in the Kaizen principles of respect for ...
A learner perspective on the implementation of Geographic Information Systems in selected schools in KwaZulu-Natal province (AOSIS, 2020)Contemporary literature reveals a plethora of studies on the implementation of Geographic Information System (GIS) in South Africa. However, these studies provide an educator’s perspective while neglecting the learner’s ...
Livelihood strategies and diversification amongst the poor : Evidence from South African household surveys (AOSIS, 2020)South Africa faces persistent challenges of poverty, unemployment and inequality. Recently, there has been growing literature trying to effectively address such challenges as the livelihood strategies of the poor need to ...
(AOSIS, 2020)South Africa faces a multitude of social, economic and environmental challenges, which require well-considered planning efforts. However, the efficacy of the built environment professions to adequately plan for the current ...
Tourism business operators’ perceptions, knowledge and attitudes towards climate change at Victoria Falls (AOSIS, 2020)Climate change remains one of the biggest challenges facing the world today and is characterised by extreme weather events such as heatwaves, extreme droughts and floods. Regardless of the threat posed by climate change ...
The big five personality traits influencing habitual Facebook usage, life satisfaction and psychological well-being of Generation Y students (AOSIS, 2020)This research determined five big personality traits that influenced South African Generation Y students’ habitual use of Facebook, life satisfaction and psychological well-being. The research embraced a quantitative ...
Improving the contribution of foreign voluntourists in South Africa : The importance of training and supervision (AOSIS, 2020)The market for voluntourism from the Western world to developing countries is on the rise. Voluntourists are mainly young people who combine travel with volunteering in educational, early childhood development, environmental ...
(AOSIS, 2020)The need to improve English proficiency and inclusion of social media in language teaching have resulted in teachers having to develop new teaching strategies incorporating digital tools. In South Africa, English teachers ...
(AOSIS, 2020)Research in the social sciences is concerned with complex social behaviour, group dynamics and unique human settings. Researchers have different patterns of thought and modes of thinking. As such, they often use different ...
(AOSIS, 2020)Mathematics is integral to the successful study of accounting. The purpose of the study was to determine accounting students’ perceptions of attitudes towards mathematics among their parents and teachers. The setting for ...
(AOSIS, 2020)The concept of diaspora is phenomena. However, it is discussed conservatively by scholars in the fields of economics, spatial geography, politics, development studies, sociology and social anthropology. This article discusses ...
Digital media, the body and agency in a South African education institution from the perspective of narrative research (AOSIS, 2020)In developing countries, digital media have created uneven nexuses of literacy, power and societal adjustment. Whilst literacy and power have been the subject of much research in South Africa, often supporting a conception ...
(AOSIS, 2020)After the advent of the first free and fair elections in South Africa in 1994, access to municipal services became a right for all residents. Now, more than ever, the inclusion of previously disadvantaged communities is ...
(AOSIS, 2020)Small-scale fisheries play a significant role in enhancing livelihoods, creating employment and contributing to food security especially in developing countries. Rural fishing communities are highly dependent on natural ...
(AOSIS, 2020)Although culturally diverse students have potential to create enriched learning resources, it is difficult to harness students’ agency and to aggregate individual contributions into a meaningful learning resource. This is ...