mirage

The establishment and growth of Empangeni.

Boloka/Manakin Repository

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.author Minnaar, A de V
dc.date.accessioned 2012-01-31T12:30:26Z
dc.date.available 2012-01-31T12:30:26Z
dc.date.issued 1984
dc.identifier.citation Minnaar, A. de V. 1984. The establishment and growth of Empangeni. Contree : Tydskrif vir Suid-Afrikaanse stedelike en streeksgeskiedenis = Contree : Journal for South African urban and regional history. 15:5-16, Jan. [http://dspace.nwu.ac.za/handle/10394/4968] en_US
dc.identifier.issn 0379-9867
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/10394/5417
dc.description.abstract • Opsomming: Die naam Empangeni is aan Zoeloe ontleen, maar oor die betekenis daarvan is die menings uiteenlopend. Die eerste Blanke inwoner van die gebied was Aldin Grout, 'n sendeling van die Amerikaanse Sendinggenootskap wat in 1841 in Empangeni aangekom het. Sy verblyf was van korte duur en in 1851 is hy gevolg deur eerwaarde H.P.S. Schreuder van die Noorweegse Sendinggenootskap. In 1887 is Zoeloeland tot Britse gebied verklaar en A.J. Shepstone is as die eerste magistraat van die distrik Lower Umfolozi aangestel. In 1894 is die distriksetel van Patane na die teenswoordige Empangeni verskuif. In 1905-06 het die eerste setlaars hulle opwagting in die distrik gemaak, terwyl die sogenaamde Empangeni-konsessiegronde tussen 1909 en 1911 aan nedersetters toegeken is. Die dorp Empangeni is in 1905-06 amptelik geproklameer en deur die magistraat geadministreer. Van 1917 het 'n dorpsadviesraad hom bygestaan, en 'n dorpsraad is eers in 1931 ingestel. Munisipale status is in 1960 toegestaan en met die aankondiging van die voorgestelde ontwikkeling van die Richardsbaai-hawe in 1965 het Empangeni 'n nuwe groeifase in sy geskiedenis tegemoetgegaan.
dc.description.abstract • Summary: The name Empangeni is a Zulu word of which there are various interpretations as to its origin. In 1841 Aldin Grout, a missionary of the American Mission Society, was the first White to arrive in the area. He only remained a short time and was followed in 1851 by the Rev. H.P .S. Schreuder of the Norwegian Mission Society. In 1887 Zululand was declared British territory and A.J. Shepstone was appointed the first magistrate of the Lower Umfolozi district. The magisterial seat was moved from Patane to the present day Empangeni in 1894. In 1905-06 the first White settlers arrived in the district, and the so-called Empangeni concession lands were granted between 1909 and 1911. In 1906 Empangeni was officially declared a village and was under the control of the magistrate. From 1917 he was assisted by a village advisory board. In 1931 the village received a town board and borough status was finally granted in October 1960. With the announcement in 1965 of the proposed harbour development at Richards Bay Empangeni entered a dynamic growth phase in its history.
dc.language.iso en en_US
dc.publisher Afdeling Streekgeskiedenis van die lnstituut vir Geskiedenisnavorsing, RGN / Section for Regional History, Institute for Historical Research, HSRC en_US
dc.title The establishment and growth of Empangeni. en_US
dc.type Article en_US


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Search the NWU Repository


Advanced Search

Browse

My Account

Statistics