Jàmbá: 2020 Volume 12 No 1
- Antibiotic resistance and R&D failure : the need for near real-time disaster research / Callaghan, Chris W.; Dayan, Oren
- Resilience of informal settlements to climate change in the mountainous areas of Konso, Ethiopia and QwaQwa, South Africa / Melore, Tamirat W.; Nel, Verna
- Building community resilience to climate change : the role of a Population-Health-Environment programme in supporting the community response to cyclone Haruna in Madagascar / Mohan, Vikas; Hardee, Karen; Savitzky, Caroline
- Flood survivors’ perspectives on vulnerability reduction to floods in Mbire district, Zimbabwe / Mucherera, Blessing; Mavhura, Emmanuel
- Vulnerability of smallholder sorghum farmers to climate variability in a heterogeneous landscape of south-western Uganda / Mugagga, Frank; Nakanjakko, Noeline; Nakileza, Bob;Nseka, Denis
- Local worlds: Vulnerability and food insecurity in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa / Ngumbela, Xolisile G.; Khalema, Ernest N.; Nzimakwe, Thokozani I.
- Risk of a disaster : risk knowledge, interpretation and resilience / Odiase, Osamuede; Wilkinson, Suzanne; Neef, Andreas
- The role of knowledge and fatalism in college students related to the earthquake-risk perception / Aksa, Fuqan I.; Utaya, Sugeng; Bachri, Syamsul; Handoyo, Budi
- Perception of seismic design by architects in Algeria / Benfarhat, Bachir; Benouar, Djillali; Cartier, Stéphane
- Risking health for rental housing : Reviewing service access in the informal backyard rental sector / Lategan, Louis G.; Erasmus, Shayne; Zietsman, Markus; Cilliers, Elizelle J.; Wolf, Mario; Springer, Christian A.
- Economic vulnerability to tropical storms on the southeastern coast of Africa / Molua, Ernest L; Mendelsohn, Robert O.; Akamin, Ajapnwa
- Impact of climate change and variability on traditional farming systems : Farmers’ perceptions from south-west, semi-arid Zimbabwe / Ndlovu, Everson; Prinsloo, Barend; Le Roux, Tanya
- Collaborating network in managing post the Mount Merapi’s disruption, Indonesia / Pratama, Prawira Yudha; Nurmandi, Achmad
- Islamic perspectives in disaster : An alternative to changing fatalistic attitudes / Aksa, Furqan I.
- Simulation of sediment transport in Krueng Baro River, Indonesia / Hairul Basri; Azmeri Azmeri; Wesli Wesli; Faris Z. Jemi
- Variability analysis of dry spells for improving agribusiness management in Lesotho / Hlalele, Bernard M.
- Risk factors and risk level assessment : Forty thousand emergencies over the past decade in China / Ma, Ning; Liu, Yijun
- An asset-based participatory community analysis of natural hazards in Naphuno, Greater Tzaneen Municipality, Limpopo province, South Africa / Shokane, Allucia L.; Nel, Hanna
- Understanding vulnerability and resilience in Somalia / Lwanga-Ntale, Charles; Owino, Boniface O.
- Energy use strategies and implications for fire risk amongst low-income households / Francioli, Alberto P.M.
- Integrated drought monitoring framework for Eswatini applying standardised precipitation index and normalised difference vegetation index / Mlenga, Daniel H.; Jordaan, Andries J.
- Integrating local indigenous knowledge to enhance risk reduction and adaptation strategies to drought and climate variability : The plight of smallholder farmers in Chirumhanzu district, Zimbabwe / Grey, Mashoko S.; Masunungure, Current; Manyani, Amanda
- 26/11 Mumbai terrorist attack revisited: Lessons learnt and novel disaster model for future / Sonawane, Dhiraj V.; Garg, Bipul K.; Chandanwale, Ajay ; Mathesul, Ambarish A. ; Shinde, Omkar R. ; Singh, Shravan
- Why do the impacts of coronavirus disease 2019 and the response surprise the world? / Raju, Emmanuel; Van Niekerk, Dewald
- Non-pharmaceutical strategies win coronavirus disease 2019 battle in New Zealand / Nhamo, Godwell; Kandawasvika, Gwendoline Q.; Sibanda, Mncengeli
- Kelman, I. 2020. ‘Disaster by choice : How our actions turn natural hazards into catastrophes’ [Book review] / Van Riet, Gideon
(OASIS, 2020)This literature-based article found that on 08 June 2020, New Zealand claimed victory over coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) mainly because of effective non-pharmaceutical strategies and interventions that included a ...
Integrating local indigenous knowledge to enhance risk reduction and adaptation strategies to drought and climate variability : The plight of smallholder farmers in Chirumhanzu district, Zimbabwe (OASIS, 2020)This article focuses on drought risk reduction and climate change adaptation strategies adopted by rural households to sustain their livelihood activities. The overall objective was to understand the local household’s ...
Integrated drought monitoring framework for Eswatini applying standardised precipitation index and normalised difference vegetation index (OASIS, 2020)In the last decade, Eswatini has been affected by moderate to severe droughts, leading to huge impacts on the economic, environmental and societal sectors. The frequency and magnitude of drought have also increased, ...
(OASIS, 2020)Despite near universal access to electricity in Cape Town, usage of informal electrical connections and nonelectric energy sources remains high and pose significant fire risk to such households. This research set out to ...
(OASIS, 2020)In the recent years, Somalia witnessed a heightened frequency of droughts and conflicts. This article explores the experiences of Somalis during the 2011 and 2016 crises, examining the link between vulnerability and ...
An asset-based participatory community analysis of natural hazards in Naphuno, Greater Tzaneen Municipality, Limpopo province, South Africa (OASIS, 2020)Natural hazards disrupt the daily lives of people and communities. Consequently, social workers, like any other stakeholders, deal with community predicaments arising from the effects of natural hazards. The social relief ...
(OASIS, 2020)During a public emergency, which possibly evolves into a major public crisis, it is critical to quickly identify the main risk factors and assess the levels of risk, in order to efficiently manage the risks. In this study, ...
(OASIS, 2020)In sub-Saharan Africa, rain-fed agriculture remains one of the major sources of food, employment for low-skilled and rural community members and income for both commercial and subsistence farmers. Understanding problems ...
(OASIS, 2020)An alluvial river system is a dynamic system that can alter the hydraulic flow and sediment load. Sediment modelling can enhance our understanding of river morphology. This model has also proved to be a useful tool to ...
(OASIS, 2020)Misunderstandings towards the teachings of Islam increases the fatalistic attitude towards disaster. Fatalistic attitude causes them to ignore measures to reduce the disaster risk. A new approach is needed to change the ...
(OASIS, 2020)Terrorism is the unlawful exercise of random and ruthless violence against property or individuals, usually innocent civilians, in order to intimidate governments or societies for political or ideological purposes. Mumbai, ...
Impact of climate change and variability on traditional farming systems : Farmers’ perceptions from south-west, semi-arid Zimbabwe (OASIS, 2020)Despite annual climate variability threats, traditional farming in semi-arid Zimbabwe remains entrenched in unproductive, rain-fed agricultural practices. Adaptation strategies by farmers are seemingly failing to mitigate ...
(OASIS, 2020)Climate change will hit Africa economically hard, not least Southeast Africa. Understanding the impact of extreme climatic events is important for both economic development and climate change policy. Global climatological ...
Risking health for rental housing : reviewing service access in the informal backyard rental sector (OASIS, 2020)Informal backyard rentals (IBRs) constitute South Africa’s fastest growing housing subsector, flourishing within a relative research vacuum and without national policy intervention to address the vulnerabilities of ...
(OASIS, 2020)The purpose of this article is to analyse the results of a survey towards the architects and engineers of construction in order to estimate the perception of the anti-seismic protection amongst these professionals. It ...
(OASIS, 2020)At present, the earthquake-risk perception research in Aceh only focuses on the general public. Limited research examines earthquake-risk perceptions amongst students. This exploratory study is focused on geography education ...
(OASIS, 2020)Knowledge and interpretation of local risks are essential in disaster mitigation. Auckland’s exposure to multiple hazards is a source of national concern. Considering the multiplicity of natural hazards in Auckland, ...