Jàmbá: 2022 Volume 14 No 1
- Inter-agency collaboration and disaster management : a case study of the 2005 earthquake disaster in Pakistan / Shah, Ikram ; Mahmood, Tahir ; Khan, Sajjad A. ; Elahi, Noor ; Shahnawaz, Muhammad ; Dogar, Adnan A. ; Subhan, Fazli ; Begum, Khoula
- Initiatives to boost resilience towards El Niño in Zimbabwe’s rural communities / Matunhu, Jephias ; Mago, Stephen ; Matunhu, Viola
- Policy coherence between food security, disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation in South Africa : a summative content analysis approach / Zembe, Annegrace ; Nemakonde, Livhuwani D. ; Chipangura, Paul
- Analysis of trends, recurrences, severity and frequency of droughts using standardised precipitation index : case of OR Tambo District Municipality, Eastern Cape, South Africa / Nkamisa, Melezwa ; Ndhleve, Simbarashe ; Nakin, Motebang D.V. ; Mngeni, Asabonga ; Kabiti, Hlekani M.
- The role of public participation in disaster risk reduction initiatives : the case of Katlehong township / Nkombi, Ziyanda ; Wentink, Gideon J.
- Exploring strategies for management of disasters associated with illegal gold mining in abandoned mines : a case study of Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality / Matshusa, Khodani ; Leonard, Llewellyn
- Aligning SDG 13 with South Africa’s development agenda : adaptation policies and institutional frameworks / Mthembu, Dumisani E. ; Nhamo, Godwell
- The post-war era in Nigeria and the resilience of Igbo communal system / Okwuosa, Lawrence ; Nwaoga, Chinyere T. ; Uroko, Favour
- Creating an institutional ecosystem for cash transfer programmes in post-disaster settings : a case from Indonesia / Safitri, Mega ; Lassa, Jonatan A. ; Nappoe, Gisela E. ; Sulistyo, Susilo B.
- Transportation infrastructure planning in supporting disaster mitigation : case study in Mount Gamalama / Raharjo, Efendhi P. ; Sarjana, Sri ; Safitri, Mega
- Assessment of community-based flood early warning system in Malawi / Chinguwo, Dickson D. ; Deus, Dorothea
- Handling natural hazards in Indonesia amid the COVID-19 pandemic : Muhammadiyah’s response and strategy / Ichsan, Muchammad
- Factors that influence regional resilience planning in Central Karoo, South Africa / Dimitrova, Elizabet ; Mokhele, Masilonyane
- A framework for librarians to inform the citizenry during disasters : reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic / Chisita, Collence T. ; Ngulube, Patrick
- Mapping the susceptibility of persons with disabilities to landslides in a highland landscape of Bushika Sub County, Mount Elgon, Eastern Uganda / Ssennoga, Martin ; Mugagga, Frank ; Nadhomi, Daniel L. ; Kisira, Yeeko
- Natural hazard insurance demand : a systematic review / Mushonga, Farai B. ; Mishi, Syden
- Disaster resilience framework indicators for a city’s disaster resilience planning strategy / Terblanche, Tanja ; De Sousa, Luiza O. ; Van Niekerk, Dewald
- Climate change knowledge, concerns and experiences in secondary school learners in South Africa / Kutywayo, Alison ; Chersich, Matthew ; Naidoo, Nicolette P. ; Scorgie, Fiona ; Bottoman, Likho ; Mullick, Saiqa
- Risk characterisation and methods of improving practice for municipal waste management in disaster situations : a case study in Qom Province, Iran / Ghafuri, Yadollah ; Koohpaei, Alireza
- Promoting sustainable development goals : role of higher education institutions in climate and disaster management in Zimbabwe / Dzvimbo, Munyaradzi A. ; Mashizha, Tinashe M. ; Zhanda, Kelvin ; Mawonde, Albert
- Social workers’ intervention during natural hazards / Matlakala, Frans K. ; Makhubele, Jabulani C. ; Nyahunda, Louis
- Mindset as a resilience resource and perceived wellness of first responders in a South African context / O’Neil, John W. ; Kruger, Leandri
- Effects of climate change on pastoral households in the Harshin District of the Somali Region, Ethiopia / Abrham, Tigist ; Mekuyie, Muluken
- Disaster risk reduction : integrating sustainable development goals and occupational safety and health in festival and event management / Louw, Leonie B. ; Esterhuyzen, Elriza
- Effect of disaster training on knowledge regarding flood risk management amongst families with older people / Fatmah, Fatmah
- Rural vulnerability and institutional dynamics in the context of COVID-19 : a scoping review / John, Sokfa F. ; Okem, Andrew E. ; Mubangizi, Betty C. ; Adekanla, Niyi ; Ngubane, Londeka P. ; Barry, Ibrahima
- Empowering local leaders in flood inundation mapping in Bagelen, Purworejo, Central Java / Purwitaningsih, Santika ; Sartohadi, Junun ; Muta’ali, Lufti ; Da Costa, Apolonia D. S.
- Vulnerability, impact and adaptation strategies of female farmers to climate variability / Dibakoane, Siphosethu ; Siyongwana, Pakama ; Shabalala, Ayanda N.
- An adaptation of a macroscale methodology to assess the direct economic losses caused by Tropical Cyclone Idai in Zimbabwe / Mavhura, Emmanuel ; Aryal, Komal R.
- Learning from past and current food security efforts and challenges in Zimbabwe : the years 1430–2020 / Ngwenya, Sifelani ; Lunga, Wilfred ; Van Eeden, Elize S.
- Narratives of hospital health care professionals during the pandemic in the Northern Philippines : a phenomenological study / Capili, Julius T. ; Luis, Lara Melissa G. ; Asuncion, Jay Emanuel L. ; Luyun, Jennifer L. ; Canapi, Jake B. ; Rimban, Erwin L.
- Flood vulnerability and economic valuation of small and medium-sized enterprise owners to enhance sustainability / Isa, Muzakar ; Mardalis, Ahmad
- Flood risk perception, disaster preparedness and response in flood-prone urban communities of Rivers State / Elum, Zelda A. ; Lawal, Olanrewaju
- Agency-driven and community-driven impact in livelihood recovery : Beneficiaries stories / Paripurno, Eko T. ; Mahojwala, Gandar ; Prabaswara, Galih ; Khabibah, Sabrina U.
- The impact of colonial and contemporary land policies on climate change adaptation in Zimbabwe’s communal areas / Maganga, Trymore ; Suso, Catherine Conrad
- Socio-economic impact of COVID-19 on rural livelihoods in Mbashe Municipality / Khowa, Thandeka ; Cimi, Anelisiwe ; Mukasi, Tafadzwa
- A conservation organisation’s approach to COVID-19 : lessons learned from Madagascar / Leeney, Ruth H. ; Raveloson, Herinjaka ; Antion, Paul ; Mohan, Vik
- Global transformation of disaster sciences into risk reduction education system in Indonesia / Kadir, M. Yakub Aiyub ; Nurdin, Nurmalahayati
- Community adaptation strategies toward tidal flood : a case study in Langsa, Indonesia / Aksa, Furqan I. ; Afrian, Ramdan
- Maize producers’ vulnerability to climate change : evidence from Makhuduthamaga Local Municipality, South Africa / Matimolane, Selelo ; Chikoore, Hector ; Mathivha, Fhumulani I. ; Kori, Edmore
- Process and components of disaster risk communication in health systems : a thematic analysis / Dehghani, Arezoo ; Ghomian, Zohreh ; Rakhshanderou, Sakineh ; Khankeh, Hamidreza ; Kavousi, Amir
- Geospatial analysis of flood emergency evacuation sites in Accra / Atanga, Rapheal Ane ; Tankpa, Vitus
- Erikson, K. & Peek, L. 2022. The ‘Murky’ New Orleans : a community reliving and experiencing the 2005 Hurricane Katrina [Book review] / Ncube, Alice
- Inquiry-based learning : a pedagogical tool to improving understanding of natural hazards / Aksa, Furqan I.
- The 2021 Western Germany flood event : the value of flood risk dissemination strategies and social media / Matandirotya, Newton
Disaster risk reduction : integrating sustainable development goals and occupational safety and health in festival and event management (OASIS, 2022)The purpose of this article is to develop a theoretical disaster risk reduction model, creating a virtuous cycle of knowledge and action across the festival and events industry, based on occupational safety and health ...
Effect of disaster training on knowledge regarding flood risk management amongst families with older people (OASIS, 2022)The elderly population is of utmost importance amongst vulnerable populations during disasters because they experience reduced functional abilities, cognitive disturbance, dementia, weak physical conditions and various ...
(OASIS, 2022)This study reviewed the impact of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) on pre-existing vulnerabilities in rural communities using the scoping review strategy. It focused on manuscripts published on the topic in 2020. ...
(OASIS, 2022)This article discusses the reliability of flood inundation information that is obtained from participatory mapping. The commonly applied method to map flood inundation requires both direct and interpretive measurement ...
(OASIS, 2022)In Africa, agriculture, particularly crop production, is a vital livelihood practice for women, who provide a larger proportion of the labour force. However, the high reliance on rain-fed agriculture, coupled with other ...
An adaptation of a macroscale methodology to assess the direct economic losses caused by Tropical Cyclone Idai in Zimbabwe (OASIS, 2022)Tropical cyclones are among the costliest disasters in the world, with reported losses amounting to billions of US dollars on an annual basis. To reduce the impact of disasters including cyclones, Zimbabwe signed the ...
Learning from past and current food security efforts and challenges in Zimbabwe : the years 1430–2020 (OASIS, 2022)Zimbabwe has been experiencing food insecurity for many centuries. This study sought to explore and learn from Zimbabwe’s past and current food security (FS) efforts and challenges, through three historical periods, ...
Narratives of hospital health care professionals during the pandemic in the Northern Philippines : a phenomenological study (OASIS, 2022)Hospital health care professionals (HCPs) play a vital and crucial role in saving the lives of patients afflicted with the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). As the incidence of the disease keeps increasing, health ...
Flood vulnerability and economic valuation of small and medium-sized enterprise owners to enhance sustainability (OASIS, 2022)Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) play an important role in supporting Indonesia’s economic growth and provide employment for people. Nevertheless, SMEs are most vulnerable when there is a flood. Small and medium ...
Flood risk perception, disaster preparedness and response in flood-prone urban communities of Rivers State (OASIS, 2022)Rapid urbanisation is contributing to increasing societal vulnerability to disaster. This study aimed at exploring the perception on flood risk and ascertaining the determinants of disaster preparedness among residents ...
The impact of colonial and contemporary land policies on climate change adaptation in Zimbabwe’s communal areas (OASIS, 2022)The main aim of this article was to examine the impact of colonial and contemporary development policies on climate change adaptation among communal farmers in Zimbabwe. As such, the objective was to document and better ...
(OASIS, 2022)The effectiveness of agency-driven and community-driven recovery approaches is a discoursive material that appeals to many disaster management practitioners, scholars, international donors or governments. Meanwhile, the ...
(OASIS, 2022)The study sought to examine the impact of coronavirus disease 2019 on the socioeconomic livelihoods of rural communities by focusing on the Good Hope community under Mbashe Municipality. A qualitative research methodology ...
(OASIS, 2022)Blue Ventures (BV) works holistically with communities in Madagascar, developing transformative approaches to catalyse and sustain locally led marine conservation. In response to the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) ...
(OASIS, 2022)This article explores the origin of disaster risk reduction (DRR) knowledge in the global context and how it evolved in the education system of Indonesia since its independence in 1945 up to 2018. It argues that DRR ...
(OASIS, 2022)Flood risk reduction in Indonesia is primarily still focused on structural measures with limited research assessing community adaptation strategies. The response and adaptation strategies carried out by the community ...
Maize producers’ vulnerability to climate change : evidence from Makhuduthamaga Local Municipality, South Africa (OASIS, 2022)Climate change is predicted to impact agricultural production and affect food security in poor communities of developing countries due to the likely negative impacts on rainfall characteristics. South Africa is one of ...
(OASIS, 2022)Risk communication (RC) is one of the necessary functions in disaster management. Establishing communication processes such as planning, transparency of policies and guidelines, RC expert training, providing communication ...
(OASIS, 2022)Cities face frequent flood disasters with devastating impact on lives and property. Geospatial analysis using high elevation points can help to map out emergency evacuation centres for decision making on flood risk ...